The Society For Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland was founded in 1934. Due to changes in sub-specialisation, it is likely that future consultancy appointments will be in either cardiac or thoracic surgery with likely gaps in transplant and congenital surgery. There are currently 160 NTNs and thanks to the efforts of the current Society tutors, the Society is the only surgical speciality that offers fully funded curriculum aligned courses to all NTNs.
Highlights of our current work include:
1) Maintaining an NTN database and co-ordinating with the SCTS tutors and industry partners to ensure trainees are registered onto the appropriate course.
2) Beginning a non-trainee database to offer free courses to non-trainees.
3) Outreach projects with the student engagement team and for junior doctors interested in a career in cardiothoracic surgery- courses for medical students, foundation doctors and mentorship with current trainees.
4) Curriculum direction- thanks to the work of the current SAC Chair, Mr Sion Barnard, the Shape of Training review will not adversely affect training in cardiothoracic surgery and recognizes the need for sub-speciality interest. We will aim to complement this with a trainee guide mapping out case competency and numbers per year of training for cardiac and thoracic training.
5) Website development- we are working on incorporating education themes into the new SCTS education website.
6) Trainee meeting- the meeting at SCTS is currently following the theme of “Competitiveness for Consultancy” and followed by the fully funded trainee dinner.
7) Trainee involvement in the Society- one highlight this year was the trainee group posing questions to both candidates running for President elect.
8) General pastoral support- in addition to the Cardiothoracic Dean, Mr Jonathan Hyde, we are always available to discuss any training issues and provide support and advice.
Please see the following website for further information:
The current trainee representatives are:
Jacob Chako - email@example.com
Ahmed Al-Adhami - firstname.lastname@example.org