BATTLE OF THE SURGICAL SOCIETIES 2023
Are you a member of a student Surgical Society?
Compete for the ASiT Battle of the Surgical Societies Prize today!
Deadline: 23:59 (GMT) Sunday, 12th February 2023
What is it?
ASiT is continuing on its highly successful annual competition Battle of the Student Surgical Societies. This gives every medical school surgical society the unique opportunity to submit and battle for a £500 prize towards funding an event they will run!
- Submitting applicant must be an ASiT member
- The event must be free of charge (or provide a discount) for ASiT members
- Only 1 entry per surgical society
- We invite applications from all surgically-themed societies as we appreciate that some medical schools may have e.g. a Plastic Surgery Society, a Women in Surgery Society, etc. That said, to ensure equal opportunities for students from all medical schools, only a maximum of 1 society would be chosen from any medical school
- The proposed event must be organised by the 31st of December 2023
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- A proposal (max. 500 words) for an event your surgical society would like to organise in your region. Please send this to email@example.com AND our ASiT Medical Student Representative, Sett Ooi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject ‘Battle of the Surgical Societies 2023’. Include details on benefits to attendees, possible speakers, how you plan to deliver the event (including timeline of planning from March to potential event date) and how the funds will be used. The top 5 proposals will be invited to present their idea at the ASiT 2023 conference in Liverpool to be judged by a panel. You should receive a confirmation email of your application within 48 hours of submission.
- A background (max. 500 words) of your society. Please describe the events your society has organised in the past, and how they may reflect that your society would have the capacity (e.g. manpower, wider support network, etc) to run your proposed event. If the event were to be organised in the new academic year (i.e. from August 2023 onwards), please explain how the event will be organised given potential changes in the committee and/or outgoing committee members who may be graduating. The purpose of this section of the application is to understand your society’s background better and to allow the reviewers to contextualise the marking of the event proposal. This section of the application will not be scored.
- A signed letter of support from a guarantor/ patron/ trustee of your society. The guarantor/ trustee may be a medical school dean, consultant or professor (or an individual in a senior position). They should be aware of your society’s plans for the proposed event. Please ensure their email contact is included in the letter.
- £500 grant to organise the proposed event
- Invitation to write a report for the ASiT Yearbook
- Invitation to present their work orally at the 2024 ASiT Annual Conference
ASiT reserves the right to withdraw the prize if the conditions stated are not met. The prize certificate would also only be awarded after the proposed event has been organised.